Chrysanthemum (Mum) Information:
- Scientific Name: Chrysanthemum
- Common Name: Mums
- Origin: China
- Current Status: Naturalized as an annual in most areas around the world
Chrysanthemums or mums flower in the fall during short days and cool nights. Mums are the flower of November.
Virtually all mums prefer full sun and moist, but well-drained, rich soil making them great container plants around the world.
Proven Air Quality Improver
Chrysanthemums were proven by NASA to significantly improve air quality indoors and outdoors. What a great flower to keep around!
Many varieties of mums have edible leaves, flowers, or both.
The Origin Story
Chrysanthemums were first grown in the US in 1884 in California.
An Amazing Super Power
Mums inhibit female mosquitoes from biting and repel some bugs, however, they are universally loved by pollinators.
More Chrysanthemum Mum Facts:
- Mums are part of the Daisy/Aster family!
- Some of the most popular varieties include spider mums, pompoms, and the daisy!
- Better Homes & Gardens has great information on planting and keeping mums.