- Scientific Name: Xylocopa virginica
- Common Name: Eastern Carpenter Bee
- Native to: Eastern US & Canada
- Localized: Occasionally in sub-tropical climates, but mostly just Eastern US
Carpenter Bees, unlike bumblebees or honeybees, live in solitary nests. Females will return year after year to a suitable location for generations.
All Buzz, No Bite
Male carpenter bees (identifiable by their yellow faces) will fly aggressively around their territory to, however, they don’t have stingers and cannot bite!
Biggest in New England
Carpenter Bees can grow up to an inch in length, making them some of the largest bees in New England!
Even More Carpenter Bee Information:
- Don’t Bee Afraid of Carpenter Bees
- Norman’s Profile